With Advantage CCS on your side, there’s no need to be afraid of the word “Bankruptcy.” While it can be a difficult and challenging situation, we’re here to make the process as stress-free as possible. As a non-profit organization, you can count on Advantage CCS to ensure that you understand all of your available options so you can make the best decision for you and your family. It starts with a pre-filing bankruptcy counseling session!
What to Expect From Your Pre-Filing Bankruptcy
To make sure you feel comfortable and informed about your options, your counselor will start by providing a broad overview of the federal bankruptcy law. He or she will then look at your current financial situation and determine if there are options other than bankruptcy that can help you eliminate your debt in a reasonable amount of time and maintain a balanced budget. Regardless of whether filing for bankruptcy is right for you, your counseling session is the first step in building a personalized financial plan for a more secure and stress-free future.
As we like to say, after your bankruptcy counseling session, the advantage is now in your court.
When A Bankruptcy Certificate Is Issued:
- At the conclusion of the counseling session, the required pre-filing bankruptcy certificate of completion will be either mailed or emailed to you and your attorney, if you have one.
What Will Your Bankruptcy Counseling Session Do For You?
- Determine your net income and expenses for an average month.
- Uncover ways to balance your expenses against your income.
- Deliver a personalized action plan to provide you with information on:
- Ways to increase your income and/or cut back on expenses.
- State and national resources that may be of assistance.
- Helpful money management strategies.
- Possible options for dealing with your debt.
Costs for the Pre-Filing Bankruptcy Counseling Session:
- $50 if you wish to have a Telephone or In-Person counseling session.
- $24.95 if you use the Agency’s Online Bankruptcy Counseling module.
- A debit card or money order is the only acceptable form of payment. Personal checks and credit cards are not accepted.
- If you are a married couple filing a joint bankruptcy, each of you must complete the required bankruptcy counseling session in its entirety. There are no additional charges for a married couple if both parties participate in the same counseling session. If you choose to complete the counseling in separate sessions, each person is charged individually.
- In limited circumstances, you may be eligible to have this fee waived if you meet certain income guidelines. If you believe you may qualify to have the fee waived, contact us toll-free at 1-866-699-2227. Counseling is offered regardless of the participant’s ability to pay.
Two Convenient Ways To Start Your Bankruptcy Counseling Session:
For only $50, you can complete your session by phone or in-person at any of our office locations.
It’s a federal law that prior to filing for personal bankruptcy, you must complete a pre-filing bankruptcy counseling session from a non-profit organization, like Advantage CCS. This provision of federal bankruptcy law ensures that you understand all of your options and that you have the necessary knowledge and tools to develop a sound financial plan for the future. You can complete this session with Advantage CCS online, over the phone or in-person.
Advantage Credit Counseling Service (ACCS) is approved* by the Executive Office of the United States Trustees (EOUST) to provide the required pre-filing counseling and issue certificates in all judicial districts in the “STATES SERVICED” list on the right-hand side of this page.
*ACCS is approved by the Executive Office of the Unites States Trustee to issue certificates in compliance with the Bankruptcy Code. Approval does not endorse or assure the quality of the Agency’s services.
- Indiana *
- Kansas **
- New Hampshire
- New Jersey
- New Mexico
- North Carolina
- North Dakota
- Rhode Island
- South Carolina
- South Dakota
- Virginia ***
- West Virginia